Do you have a unique name? Unique spelling? I know with my name - Corrie - I can never get a necklace or bracelet with my name on it, just because of the spelling!
Check out some of the items we have in the library:
"Nutty Names Knock-Knocks", by Alison Grambs
"Hooper Humperdink ...? Not Him!", by Dr. Seuss writing as Theo LeSieg
"Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana: What to Name Your Baby Now", by Linda Rosenkrantz & Pamela Redmond Satran
"Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name", by Tedd Arnold
"The Mother of All Baby Name Books", by Bruce Lansky
"From Ace to Zummo: a Dictionary of Numerologically Based Names for Your Pet", by Ellin Dodge
"Don't Call Me Sidney", by Jane Sutton
"Hey Baby, What's Your Name?: a Canadian Guide to Naming Your Baby", by Shandley McMurray
"Santa's Book of Names", by David McPhail
"The Very Best Baby Name Book", by Bruce Lansky
And finally, suggested by one of our patrons,
"Tikki Tikki Tembo", retold by Arlene Mosel
Lots of ideas! The more unique the better! ... Just be prepared to have a child constantly disappointed at never having a monogrammed place mat ... sigh.
Today is also St. Piran's Day and Peace Corp Day!
Here are some interesting things that happened on this day in history:
- Smoking tobacco was introduced in Europe by Fransisco Fernandes in 1558
- During the Boston Massacre in 1770, Crispus Attackus became the first black person to die for American freedom
- The first performance of Ludwig von Beethoven's 4th Symphony in B happened on this day in 1807
- The American Negro Academy formed in 1897
- 62 railroad workers were killed by an avalanche in Rogers Pass BC, in 1910
- Mother-in-Law's Day was first celebrated in 1934
- Canadian actor Jay Silverheels (Tonto from Lone Ranger) died at 60 in 1980
- Comedian/actor John Belushi died of an overdose in 1982
- The Canadian Airborne Regiment officially disbanded in 1995
- The graves of Czar Nicholas and his family were found in St. Petersburg in 1995.
- Stay tuned for our next "On this Day in History"! Don't forget to celebrate your unique name today!