Just in case you didn't get it from the title, today is "Quirky Country Music Song Titles Day"!
I think we've all heard enough country songs on the radio to know some of the titles are ... shall we say, inspired!
There's the ever catchy, "Billy Broke My Heart at Walgreens and I Cried All the Way to Sears", or the fun-loving, "Cow Cow Boogie (Moo Moo My Love)". How about the sickly sweet, "I Fell in a Pile of You and Got Love All Over Me"?
If you liked any of those, check out this website: http://www.downstream.ca/country1.htm
Let us know if there are any good ones you can think of!
Today is also Celebrate Exchange Day, Viagra Day, and World Theatre Day!
Here are some interesting things that happened on this day in history:
- Louis XIV set up the Council of Quebec, providing the first political constitution of New France in 1647
- France and Spain signed the Treaty of Madrid in 1721
- The modern shoestring was invented in England in 1790
- Abraham Gesner patented kerosene in 1855
- M. L. Byrn patented the corkscrew in 1860
- Andrew Rankin patented the urinal in 1866
- Calvin "Kelly" Gotlieb, a computer scientist instrumental in founding the Computing and Data Processing Association of Canada was born in Toronto in 1921
- The Edmonton Grads beat the Seattle Ferry Lines by 59 points over two games to retain the Underwood Trophy and the Women's International Basketball title in 1930
- Operation Starvation (aerial mining of Japan's ports and waterways) began in 1945
- Jann Arden, award winning Canadian singer/songwriter, was born in Calgary in 1962
- Venera 8 was launched to Venus in 1972
- Mount St. Helens became active after 123 years in 1980
- 21 died in Karagpur, India when a bus accidentally touched a high voltage wire in 1990
- Tom Hanks was an Academy Award for his outstanding role in "Forest Gump" in 1995; also in 1995, Bell Canada announced that it would cut 10 000 jobs (22% of its total workforce); again in 1995, Parliament passed a back-to-work legislation, forcing about 30 000 rail workers to return to their jobs (the 9-day strike was causing severe economic repercussions).
Stay tuned for our next "On This Day in History"!