Here are some items we have on the subject:
"Baby Be Kind", by Jane Cowen-Fletcher
"Building Moral Intelligence: the Seven Essential Virtues that Teach Kids to Do the Right Thing", by Michele Borba
"Cool to the Kind: Random Acts and How to Commit Them", by Val Litwin, Brad Stokes, Erik Hanson, and Chris Bratseth
"A Truthful Heart: Buddhist Practices for Connecting With Others", by Jeffrey Hopkins
"Yoko's World of Kindness", by Rosemary Wells
"The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander: From Preschool to High School - How Parents and Teachers Can Help Break the Cycle of Violence", by Barbara Coloroso
Today is also Donald Duck Day. K-9 Veterans Day, National Open an Umbrella Indoors Day, and Smart & Sexy Day!
Here are some interesting things that happened on this day in history:
- The 12th and 27th recorded perihelion passages of Hailey's Comet, in 0607 and 1758 respectively
- Cambridge College was renamed Harvard for clergyman John Harvard in 1639
- William Hershel discovers Uranus (mistaking it for a comet at first) in 1781
- Jefferson Davis signed a bill authorizing the use of slaves as soldiers in 1865
- The British army ceased using the lance as an official weapon in 1927
- Though he discovered Pluto (the planet!) on February 18th, Clyde W. Tombaugh announced its discovery on March 13th of 1930
- Maharajadhiraja Tribhuvana Bir Bikram Yung Bahadur Shum Shere died in 1955 - don't know who he was, but his name makes me smile (I have pronounced it twice today)!
- Major-General Allard became the first Canadian to command a British army division in 1961
- The Canadian Radio & Television Commission rejected the introduction of pay TV in Canada in 1978
- Encyclopedia Britannica discontinued its print edition (after 244 years!) in 2012
Stay tuned for our next "On This Day in History"