"Oyez, Oyez!" or as is commonly known "Hear ye, Hear ye!" today is International Town Criers Day, celebrated annually on the second Monday of July.
A town crier is an officer of the court who makes public announcements and often dress elaborately, by a tradition dating to the 18th
century, in a red and gold robe, white breeches, black boots and a tricorne hat. They commonly carry a hand-bell ringing it to get people attention while shouting "Oyez, Oyez!" meaning "hear ye," which is a call for silence and attention.
When was the last time you heard a town crier? Many places ceased the use of town criers as late as the early 20th century although there are still places today who have official town criers.
To find a town crier near you (you being our lovely readers who reside in the UK) visit the Ancient and Honourable Guild of Town Criers website http://www.ahgtc.org.uk/
Here are some interesting things that happened on this day in history.
- Paris was founded in 951.
- 975 death of Edgar, King of England.
- The First Crusade happened in 1099 where 15,000 starving Christian soldiers march in religious
procession around Jerusalem as its Muslim defenders look on.
-1249 Alexander II, King of Scots dies at 51.
- 1290 Princess Margaret (age 15), daughter of Edward I of England marries John II of Brabant at Westminster Abbey.
- 1792 France declares war on Prussia.
- In 1835 the Liberty Bell cracks for the second time.
- 1889 Wall Street Journal begins publishing.
- 1948 Children's singer Raffi, who has sold over 7 million records, was born in Cairo, Egypt.
-1957 William Cadbury, chocolate maker, dies at 89.
- 1958 actor Kevin Bacon born.
- 1961 American country singer Toby Keith born.
- 1969 US troop withdrawal begins in Vietnam.
-1990 the date and time correspond to bring about the first (1234567890) 12:34:56 on 7/8/90.
- 1994 Space shuttle STS-65 (Columbia 17), launches.
- 1997 NATO invites Poland, Hungary & Czech Republic to join.
- 2000 fourth Harry Potter book is released (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire).
- 2011 Space Shuttle Atlantis is launched in the final mission of the U.S. Space Shuttle program.
- 2013 currently heavy rains are causing severe flooding, and power outages in Toronto, ON.
Stay tuned for our next, "On This Day in History"!
Post a Comment